Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Lunch please!

For lunch I made a yummy salad using leftovers!  I do not like salad dressings because I really like my vegetables to taste like vegetables..which sounds super weird considering I don't really like vegetables much.  But dressings are just too strong and sweet for me generally.  I can get down with a nice light italian dressing, but I decided today to just use olive oil (about 1tbsp) and a freshly squeezed lemon.  I used my leftover zucchini ribbons, some cucumbers (diced because I don't like large things in my salad) and some grated carrots.  YUM.  And that's fire roasted red pepper hummus...delicious!  I think I liked this meal because it was so pretty.  Maybe I will start taking better photos soon!  I wish I had some natural lighting in my kitchen!

One strange thing about my daughter is that since she was able to eat food at about a year old, she has loved lemons.  She makes a face every time but she totally delights in really sour lemons.  Today I had some and told her we could make some fresh lemonade.  I don't have a citrus juicer so I got creative and used the end of a cucumber!!!  It worked like a charm!  If you wonder why I am improvising so much it's because when we moved here 4 months ago we did not bring any kitchen items, so I am still collecting things slowly!  Afterwards she begged for my lemon slice that was on my salad bowl and here's what she did with it.  LEMON MONSTER!!!!  She said it looked like monster teeth!



Tomorrow's post will be about eggs, meat and poultry.  My next cooking challenge is to make my first ever stock...and I will tell you now that I know not the first thing about working with a whole bird.  I'm slightly grossed out and scared, but it will be worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment